Saturday, November 16, 2019

Honda SWT-400 mods and tips

updated 2019-11-16

Handlebar wobble

Corrected the handlebar wobble at 40 km/h. There were some aftermarket extended weights installed, but they did not do much and they looked not right.
When we parted the previous owner gave me the original handlebar weights. So I cut off the new weights part what goes into the handlebar, installed the original one with the new one on top, put an o-ring between.
The Honda is now much less wobbling when you leave the hands relaxed on the handlebars.

Dead angle mirrors

The next thing were the mirrors. I did the same mod with additional adjustable wide angle mirrors that I did on my 2 previous scooters. With this mod you never need to turn the head, since both mirrors capture a 90 degree angle from who is behind to who is just passing you.
I tried several mirrors and this is the optimal setup.
See here for more info.


As usual, you can not tighten the ball joint from the mirror and while I had no problem with the Spidermax mirrors, the Honda mirrors tend to move around with the extra mirror on top.

The internet showed some interesting solutions, but I decided for a less destructive and fixed the ball joint in place with a simple screw.

Paint job

Next came the better visibility, see color

Install a 12V plug

A 12V socket was installed in the left glove compartment. There was a place with a round flat surface where it was Installed in the previous model.

There is an empty plug waiting to provide the 12V and I installed the inline fuse, so it is easy to reach, inside the glove compartment.

The Canary 4 slider mod

Now we come to my personal favorite: make her much more responsive during special situations.
read the Honda part here and if you want to know the whole story go to my Spidermax blog and read the yellow underlined text.

Exhaust

If you think your Honda makes too much noise, check the exhaust seal and if it is OK, check if the screw band sits in the most back position, otherwise (like in my case) the screw band sits on the metal ring of the exhaust tube and that does not put pressure on the seal ring but the metal ring.
The exhaust from the 400cc and the 600cc are different in pipe and seal diameter.
I find it most astonishing that Honda fixes the exhaust with just one screw while Piaggio fixes the same with 3 screws.

the metal ring on the tube -  often the screw band is fixed at the front - 600cc seal on a 400cc pipe
...
more to come
 

No comments:

Post a Comment